100 not-out: Chatteris Stainless Metalcraft celebrates centenary of apprenticeship scheme
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people, including the Mayor of Chatteris, headed down to Stainless Metalcraft in the town to help the firm celebrate 100 years of its successful apprenticeship scheme.
Councillor Bill Haggata was jointed by managing director of Siemens Magnet Technology, Craig Marshall and business leaders from EEF (the Manufacturers’ Organisation) and the Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre to commemorate the occasion with a special open day, which gave those in attendance an insight into what goes on at the firm.
The first intake of apprentices joined Metalcraft in August 1916 and today, over 40 per cent of Metalcraft’s workforce consists of former apprentices, with the company celebrating its largest apprentice intake in its history this autumn.
Daniel Lynch, one of the current apprentices, was named apprentice of the year and Elisabeth Haggata won £100 in a prize draw.
Austen Adams, managing director of Metalcraft, said: “We’re delighted so many people were able to join us for the celebrations. Metalcraft has been a key part of the local Fenland community for over 100 years and, with a number of key contract wins over the last 12 months, we’re excited by the future.
You may also want to watch:
“It was important to everyone at the business that we were able to celebrate the 100th anniversary of our apprenticeship scheme with members of the local community, as well as customers, suppliers and key business contacts, and I hope everyone had an enjoyable evening and was as excited by our future plans as we are.”
For more information, visit www.metalcraft.co.uk.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 9 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 10 ‘Distressed cries’ of beagles fuel animal research unit protest