Burwell’s Simon lends his support to new charity horse race
- Credit: Archant
BURWELL businessman Simon Gibson has financed a new race to be held at the famous July Course in Newmarket.
The Alzheimer’s Research UK Handicap Stakes will be staged annually at the course until 2015, with the first running set to take place on Saturday at 5.55pm.
Mr Gibson, who lives in Burwell, is a director of financial planning specialists Atkinson Bolton Consulting and his family has enjoyed strong links with and horse racing for many generations.
He began supporting Alzheimer’s Research UK after a close family member was diagnosed with dementia three years ago. Last year Simon secured the charity a grant of £6,100 from the Million Dollar Round Table Foundation – the charitable arm of an international association representing the world’s top 40,000 financial advisors.
Simon said: “I believe that raising awareness, raising money and having fun can go hand in hand and as I come from a family steeped in racing, I felt that sponsoring a race made perfect sense.”
You may also want to watch:
To book tickets to support Alzheimer’s Research UK at the July Course on Saturday visit www.newmarketracecourses.co.uk or call 08445 793010.
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550