Burwell Pensioner Drunk Five Glasses Of Wine Before He Drove Into A Parked Van
PENSIONER Roger Barkham had drunk five glasses of wine before he drove into a parked van. Police were called to the accident scene on February 1 – and Barkham gave a breath test reading almost double the legal alcohol limit. The accident happened around 5
PENSIONER Roger Barkham had drunk five glasses of wine before he drove into a parked van.
Police were called to the accident scene on February 1 - and Barkham gave a breath test reading almost double the legal alcohol limit.
The accident happened around 5.25pm in Ness Road at Burwell, Ely magistrates were told by prosecutor Laura Mardell.
Barkham, 65, had been driving a Ford Fiesta, and hit a Ford Transit flat bed van parked near a building site, causing damage to both vehicles.
You may also want to watch:
"He told police he had been drinking in a nearby village, he had five glasses of wine and then drove back to Burwell," she said.
Barkham, of Toyse Lane, Burwell, admitted driving while over the alcohol limit. He told magistrates: "I am ashamed and remorseful."
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 5 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 6 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 7 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 8 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 9 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 10 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
He was banned from driving for 17 months and fined �280 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge.