Burwell learner banned for drink driving in Ely
A LEARNER driver was caught drunk behind the wheel of his mum’s car after an afternoon of heavy drinking.
CCTV operaters alerted police when they observed a motorist in a Volkswagen Polo driving along High Barns Road, in Ely.
When police stopped the vehicle and opened the driver’s door, they found Samuel James Flack stank of booze and had slurred speech.
The 20-year-old only had a provisional licence at the time of the offence at 6.20pm on Thursday, September 2 and has since been disqualified for a 12 months before he has even passed his test.
The Burwell Hostel resident also landed a �100 fine and has to pay �85 costs, as well as a �15 victim surcharge.
You may also want to watch:
Sentencing Flack at Ely Courthouse on Thursday, magistrate David Bredin said: “You’ve been rather silly, haven’t you?”
He added: “It was desperately lucky you didn’t cause injury to someone.”
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 6 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
Defending, Jacqui Baldwin said: “In any event, he shouldn’t have been driving his mum’s car.”
Flack, who was made redundant from his job as a glass manufacturer a few weeks ago, can get his disqualification reduced if he goes on a drink-drive rehabilition course by April 2011.