Burwell company enlists England star Joe Root to help launch Help for Heroes cricket bat
- Credit: Archant
A Burwell company which supplies cricket equipment has teamed up with forces charity Help for Heroes to launch an exclusive new bat.
Mr Cricket, based in Newnham Lane, approached international bat manufacturer Gunn & Moore to create the new GM ‘Hero’ bat, with a percentage of sale proceeds going to the Help for Heroes charity.
Paul Redfarn, managing director of Mr Cricket, said he was inspired to link up with the charity following the death of Burwell soldier Private Robbie Hayes, 19, who was killed whilst on his first tour of duty in Afghanistan in 2010.
He said: “We have been trying to find a way to help those brave soldiers returning from war with life changing injuries, both physical and mental.
“When we approached Gunn and Moore with this idea they responded enthusiastically and we hope that between us we believe we can really help to make a difference.”
You may also want to watch:
The new bat was presented by England cricketer Joe Root to Help for Heroes ambassador and avid cricketer Mark Taylor near the Tower of London last week.
Joe Root said: “The word ‘Heroes’ is much overused in the world of sport and it was a privilege and a pleasure to play a part in helping these real heroes.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
The new Hero bat will be made in Gunn & Moore’s factory at Nottingham and will only be available from Mr Cricket in Burwell or from their online shop, www.mrcricketshop.co.uk.
It will retail at only £250 for the 5 Star Grade 1 willow GM bat with £50 going to the charity for every bat sold.
It is hoped the bat will raise more than £10,000 for Help for Heroes.