Burwell barber apprentice is a cut above the rest
- Credit: Archant
Being tipped for the top is a snip for a Burwell student who has made it to the finals of a prestigious barbering competition.
Apprentice Georgia Rowley has proved she is a cut above by getting to the finals of the national BBA Student Barber of the Year competition.
The 20 year-old hairdresser, who works at Fratelli salon in Cambridge and trains at Cambridge Regional College, has won through to the last 10 in the Classic Student of the Year category.
Georgia, who lives in Heath Road, impressed the judges with her sharp cutting and neat styling showcased in photographs of her work.
The competition, run by the British Barbers’ Association, is designed to discover and promote young talent in the industry,
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I wasn’t expecting it so it was really exciting to hear I was in the final.”
“I love barbering because I like the attention to detail that’s involved. Men’s grooming is a growing area right now.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 8 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
The winners will be announced at the national Barber UK exhibition on May 23, with the judges making their final decision based on the competitors’ photographs of their work.
CRC lecturer Tracy Gardiner said: “We’re absolutely delighted that she has won through to the finals of such a prestigious competition.
“Georgia works hard and is very skilled at barbering and hairdressing, and an outstanding apprentice.”
Announcing the finalists, the BBA said: “There has been some incredible talent this year and it will be a tough job for our judges to decide on the winners.”