Burrows Bookshop receives grant from top international author
- Credit: Archant
Bestselling author, James Patterson has chosen an independent bookshop in Ely to receive a grant.
Patterson announced the grant would be paid to Burrows Bookshop, of High Street Passage, as part of a £250,000 donation he is making to book sellers across the UK and Ireland.
Over £130,000 has been allocated to independent bookshops following the first round of applications, spread across 73 stores around the country.
The Burrows donation will be used to fund a reading project with a school or schools in East Cambridgeshire, designed to encourage youngsters to get into literature.
Proprietor Annabel Reddick said: “We were very, very surprised that we were selected considering the overwhelming response they had to the application process. But we are grateful and are looking forward to starting the project.”
You may also want to watch:
Any independent bookshop with a dedicated children’s book section was eligible for a grant of between £250 and £5,000.
Mr Patterson said: “I have been completely overwhelmed by just how many people have applied for the grants and impressed and enthused by the calibre of the applications.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
“It’s been a very difficult decision process and I have worked to identify independent bookshops for whom this money may make a difference. I’m excited to follow their progress and see the proposed ideas in action.”
Eligible bookshops are still able to apply for a grant via the BA. Grant application forms are on the BA website and should be completed and returned to email@example.com. The second round of successful applicants will be announced in 2015.