Bungalow Roof in Fordham Destroyed By Fire
A BUNGALOW roof was destroyed by fire in Fordham on Tuesday but the house itself was saved by the alarm call of a quick-thinking neighbour on the Mildenhall Road, who spotted the flames. Shortly after 6pm three fire crews from Burwell and Soham arrived t
A BUNGALOW roof was destroyed by fire in Fordham on Tuesday but the house itself was saved by the alarm call of a quick-thinking neighbour on the Mildenhall Road, who spotted the flames.
Shortly after 6pm three fire crews from Burwell and Soham arrived to find the roof well alight. Police closed the road to allow fire-fighters to tackle the fire safely.
Richard Powell, Watch Manager for Soham Fire Station, said: "The fire was well developed by the time we were called, and affected a large proportion of the roof. Thanks to the swift actions of fire-fighters we were able to stop it from spreading to the main house."
"The roof has been almost completely destroyed by fire, but the damage inside the home itself has been kept to a minimum."
You may also want to watch:
Crews stayed at the scene for more than four hours, cutting away sections of the roof to ensure that the fire was completely out.
A re-inspection then took place at 11.30pm and fire crews returned to their bases.
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
A spokesperson for the fire service said the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, caused by a spark which landed on the roof and started to smoulder.
Pic cap: The roof of the bungalow was destroyed by fire on Tuesday.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.