Brothers allowed to keep fat dog
A lawyer representing two brothers convicted of causing unnecessary suffering by allowing their Labrador to become too fat today said pet owners across the UKwere living in fear of being prosecuted because their animals were overweight.Ann-Marie Gregory
A lawyer representing two brothers convicted of causing unnecessary suffering by allowing their Labrador to become too fat today said pet owners across the UK
were living in fear of being prosecuted because their animals were overweight.
Ann-Marie Gregory said she wondered ``where this case will stop'' and questioned whether the parents of fat children would also find themselves in court.
Magistrates in Ely convicted Derek Benton, 62, and his brother David, 53, both of Fordham, after the RSPCA launched a prosecution which Miss Gregory said was the first of its kind.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrates imposed a conditional discharge on each brother - but said the dog could be returned provided it was properly cared for.
The two brothers denied causing unnecessary suffering and were convicted after a two-day trial.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion