Bring a pound to Pound Lane for Jubilee
VILLAGERS in Sutton have thought of a great way to raise funds for their Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations - they are inviting residents to bring a pound to Pound Lane, to create a mile of coins.
VILLAGERS in Sutton have thought of a great way to raise funds for their Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations - they are inviting residents to bring a pound to Pound Lane to create a mile of coins.
The village Jubilee Committee will be on hand to receive the coins on the morning of Sunday March 25 , and they will be laid out end to end in a bid to stretch from one end of Pound Lane to another.
Committee member Elaine Prenzlau explained: “We will invite children to draw around the coins they lay and put their name alongside them. We will keep the strip of paper they draw on and then display it at the village jubilee celebrations. We will welcome all sorts of coins to be donated, between 10am and midday.”
The village has already planned a three-day spectacular of events to mark the Jubilee, including a street market, street party, dancing, a classic car procession, fancy dress competition and cream teas.
At the same time as the coins are being put down, a memory lane exhibition will be staged at nearby Scott Court, displaying photographs and other memorabilia from the last 60 years. Refreshments will be available.
The village is also running a fund-raising Jubilee Quiz at the Brooklands Centre on Friday March 30. To book a team of up to six people contact Brian Watson on 01353 777006.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Rough sleeping injunctions are ‘positive’ say council
- 9 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
* The Ely Standard is asking readers to share their memories of the Queen’s coronation, or other Jubilee celebrations during her reign with us. Contact The Editor, Debbie Davies, on 01353 645691, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org,uk or email@example.com