Brilliant sunshine - and a brilliant day - for the Ouse Washes Experience and Tiger Challenge organised by Ely Rotarians
- Credit: Archant
The Ouse Washes Experience and Tiger Challenge, organised by the Ely Hereward Rotary Club and supported by other local Rotary Clubs, took place in brilliant sunshine on Sunday; it was judged a great success, and everyone who took part said how much they had enjoyed the day.
Xander Brown, 7, who took part again this year accompanied by his mother Michelle and his pacemaker – the seventy something local artist Ted Coney, managed to complete the shorter Puma route of over 20 miles.
His mum said “What a brilliant day. I’m sure Xander will remember this for ever. This was am amazing event - and Xander has raised £230 for MAGPAS”
Organiser Gary Gardner of the Ely Hereward Rotary Club said: “I think this says it all. We had a highly successful event last year, which raised a lot of money for local charities, and on the strength of that we decided to repeat it again this year.
“However we decided to up the bar and add a Duathlon which was in support of the Headway charity. This has succeeded in raising in the region of £1000 for Sue Ryder Grange Hall Hospice and Headway Cambridge.”
He said: “Everyone who took part also had a thoroughly enjoyable day and the route we had chosen round the Ouse Washes was fantastic.”
Mr Gardner added: “We have certainly raised awareness of this unique part of our countryside with the local public which was part of our brief, and that, along with fundraising for local charities, is what really matters”.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Warwick Davis and daughter Annabelle cut the ribbon at special opening
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 5 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 6 Retiring café owner desperate not to see shop 'back at square one'
- 7 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 8 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Insurers to pay for £725,000 house replacement
For more information about Ely Hereward Rotary Club please visit http://www.rotaryclubely-hereward.org/