Brilliant sunshine - and a brilliant day - for the Ouse Washes Experience and Tiger Challenge organised by Ely Rotarians
- Credit: Archant
The Ouse Washes Experience and Tiger Challenge, organised by the Ely Hereward Rotary Club and supported by other local Rotary Clubs, took place in brilliant sunshine on Sunday; it was judged a great success, and everyone who took part said how much they had enjoyed the day.
Xander Brown, 7, who took part again this year accompanied by his mother Michelle and his pacemaker – the seventy something local artist Ted Coney, managed to complete the shorter Puma route of over 20 miles.
His mum said “What a brilliant day. I’m sure Xander will remember this for ever. This was am amazing event - and Xander has raised £230 for MAGPAS”
Organiser Gary Gardner of the Ely Hereward Rotary Club said: “I think this says it all. We had a highly successful event last year, which raised a lot of money for local charities, and on the strength of that we decided to repeat it again this year.
“However we decided to up the bar and add a Duathlon which was in support of the Headway charity. This has succeeded in raising in the region of £1000 for Sue Ryder Grange Hall Hospice and Headway Cambridge.”
He said: “Everyone who took part also had a thoroughly enjoyable day and the route we had chosen round the Ouse Washes was fantastic.”
Mr Gardner added: “We have certainly raised awareness of this unique part of our countryside with the local public which was part of our brief, and that, along with fundraising for local charities, is what really matters”.
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 3 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 4 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 5 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 9 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 10 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
For more information about Ely Hereward Rotary Club please visit http://www.rotaryclubely-hereward.org/