Brazen burglars target city centre
DISTRACTION burglars made off with hundreds of pounds after a brazen attack on Ely’s city centre.
Three people, two women and a man, struck at Burrows Bookshop and Catherine Jane on High Street Passage and Tucker Gardner estate agents on Market Place shortly after midday on Wednesday.
The gang entered Burrows first, two of them distracting the lone sales assistant before the third member snatched a box containing hundreds of pounds from behind the counter.
Shop owner Annabel Reddick said: “It all happened very quickly, they were very clever and were out of the shop before she realised that money had been taken.”
Within seconds of leaving Burrows, the gang entered Catherine Jane, a few doors down, and attempted to distract the lone staff member while one of the women sought to enter a staff area.
Co-owner Catherine Teale said she arrived back at the shop in time to question the women however and the trio quickly left.
The gang then entered Tucker Gardener but vigilant staff became suspicious and police were called.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
The man was described as standing about 5ft 6in tall and in his early 20s, with short black hair. One of the women was described as standing about 5ft 4in tall and also in her 20s, with long dark hair.
Anyone with information can contact Cambridgeshire police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.