Brazen burglars target city centre
DISTRACTION burglars made off with hundreds of pounds after a brazen attack on Ely’s city centre.
Three people, two women and a man, struck at Burrows Bookshop and Catherine Jane on High Street Passage and Tucker Gardner estate agents on Market Place shortly after midday on Wednesday.
The gang entered Burrows first, two of them distracting the lone sales assistant before the third member snatched a box containing hundreds of pounds from behind the counter.
Shop owner Annabel Reddick said: “It all happened very quickly, they were very clever and were out of the shop before she realised that money had been taken.”
Within seconds of leaving Burrows, the gang entered Catherine Jane, a few doors down, and attempted to distract the lone staff member while one of the women sought to enter a staff area.
You may also want to watch:
Co-owner Catherine Teale said she arrived back at the shop in time to question the women however and the trio quickly left.
The gang then entered Tucker Gardener but vigilant staff became suspicious and police were called.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 3 'Support this local attraction,’ MP urges on museum visit
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 9 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 10 9 hidden gems of East Anglia by rail from Cambridgeshire
The man was described as standing about 5ft 6in tall and in his early 20s, with short black hair. One of the women was described as standing about 5ft 4in tall and also in her 20s, with long dark hair.
Anyone with information can contact Cambridgeshire police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.