Brave Nicole raises thousands for research into deadly disease
SUTTON fundraiser Nicole Wilson led a 15-mile waterside walk that helped raise �2,000 towards research into meningitis.
Nicole was just 16-years-old and on holiday in Cyprus when she came down with a near-fatal bout of meningitis and, at one point, doctors gave her just a 20 per cent chance of survival.
Nicole was unconscious as doctors battled to save her for 12 days. She clung to life but the gymnastic and dance-loving teenager lost her legs, most of her fingers and the sight in one eye.
Since pulling through, Nicole and her family have been dedicated to spreading awareness of the disease.
Nicole, 21, and about 40 people, including her mum Bev and sisters Carly, 23, and Stacey, 25, took part in a 15-mile Riverside Walk in Ely during the summer.
You may also want to watch:
They trekked from Peacock’s Tearoom to The Five Miles From Anywhere Inn and back, raising �2,000.
The money was presented to Meningitis UK’s founder, Steve Dayman, during a ceremony on Saturday, December 15.
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 4 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 5 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 6 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 7 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 8 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 9 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
Nicole walked part of the route before boarding a boat captained by her dad to finish and a barbecue followed.
Her mum Bev, who donated a kidney to Nicole last year because the meningitis had damaged hers, said: “The walk went very well, there was a great turnout and Nicole was determined to take part with all her friends.”
For more information on Meningitis UK, to donate or for a free symptoms information pack, please call 0117 947 6320 or visit www.meningitisuk.org.