Councillor 'delighted' with hand-written birthday card from Boris Johnson
- Credit: TOM HUNT
An Ely councillor was "shocked and delighted" to receive a hand-written birthday card from Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
East Cambs Councillor Bill Hunt said the surprise card was hand-delivered to him by his son Tom Hunt, who is MP for Ipswich, on the day he turned 76.
"I was very pleased because it's not often you get a card from the Prime Minister," said the Stretham ward councillor.
"It wasn't a standard one, etiher - it was quite personalised," he added.
The card reads: "To Bill, happy birthday and best wishes" and added "thanks for lending us your prodigiously gifted son".
You may also want to watch:
The special card is currently sat on Bill's mantlepiece - but he plans to frame it in the near future.
"I don't suppose I'll get one every year but I just think it's rather lovely that the man's got a sense of humour and can turn off for a couple of minutes."
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 7 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
To celebrate his big day, Bill and his son took a nine-hour voyage from Ely to Huntingdon on his boat.
MP Tom Hunt said: "My dad got a birthday card from someone he wasn’t expecting. Very flattered with the comments."