Book full of wartime memories
A GROUP of local history enthusiasts has written a book of about their childhood memories. When I Was a Child has been written and published by people who meet at Fenland History on Friday meetings at Ely Library every week. The book has 20 contributors,
A GROUP of local history enthusiasts has written a book of about their childhood memories.
When I Was a Child has been written and published by people who meet at Fenland History on Friday meetings at Ely Library every week.
The book has 20 contributors, who all live in the Ely area, two of which, Lorna Delanoy and Barbara Slade, put it together.
Mrs Delanoy said: "The stories highlight some of the fundamental differences between our memories of childhood and the way children behave today.
"Children enjoyed a lot more freedom back then than they do now. The book contains stories of six and seven-year-old children getting on buses on their own and travelling to school, or going off with a packet of sandwiches and exploring. These days, parents don't let their children out of their sight.
"There are stories of growing up in wartime when children had very few material possessions but the word 'bored' does not feature in their vocabulary as it does with so many today."
- 1 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 4 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 7 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 8 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 9 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 10 Three officers commended for 2021 Boat Race policing
She added: "Some contributors observe how Sunday was once an important day with most people dressing up and going to church, where as the ritual for many people nowadays is to go to the supermarket."
Mrs Delanoy said: "We had a great response from people who attend the Fenland History on Friday meetings, we've had a lot of fun putting it together."
# When I Was a Child is priced £4.50 and available from Burrows Bookshop, High Street Passage, Ely and Soham Books, High Street, Soham.
# Fenland History on Friday is on at Ely Library every Friday from 10.30am-noon.