Book full of wartime memories
A GROUP of local history enthusiasts has written a book of about their childhood memories. When I Was a Child has been written and published by people who meet at Fenland History on Friday meetings at Ely Library every week. The book has 20 contributors,
A GROUP of local history enthusiasts has written a book of about their childhood memories.
When I Was a Child has been written and published by people who meet at Fenland History on Friday meetings at Ely Library every week.
The book has 20 contributors, who all live in the Ely area, two of which, Lorna Delanoy and Barbara Slade, put it together.
Mrs Delanoy said: "The stories highlight some of the fundamental differences between our memories of childhood and the way children behave today.
You may also want to watch:
"Children enjoyed a lot more freedom back then than they do now. The book contains stories of six and seven-year-old children getting on buses on their own and travelling to school, or going off with a packet of sandwiches and exploring. These days, parents don't let their children out of their sight.
"There are stories of growing up in wartime when children had very few material possessions but the word 'bored' does not feature in their vocabulary as it does with so many today."
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
She added: "Some contributors observe how Sunday was once an important day with most people dressing up and going to church, where as the ritual for many people nowadays is to go to the supermarket."
Mrs Delanoy said: "We had a great response from people who attend the Fenland History on Friday meetings, we've had a lot of fun putting it together."
# When I Was a Child is priced £4.50 and available from Burrows Bookshop, High Street Passage, Ely and Soham Books, High Street, Soham.
# Fenland History on Friday is on at Ely Library every Friday from 10.30am-noon.