Book full of wartime memories
A GROUP of local history enthusiasts has written a book of about their childhood memories. When I Was a Child has been written and published by people who meet at Fenland History on Friday meetings at Ely Library every week. The book has 20 contributors,
A GROUP of local history enthusiasts has written a book of about their childhood memories.
When I Was a Child has been written and published by people who meet at Fenland History on Friday meetings at Ely Library every week.
The book has 20 contributors, who all live in the Ely area, two of which, Lorna Delanoy and Barbara Slade, put it together.
Mrs Delanoy said: "The stories highlight some of the fundamental differences between our memories of childhood and the way children behave today.
"Children enjoyed a lot more freedom back then than they do now. The book contains stories of six and seven-year-old children getting on buses on their own and travelling to school, or going off with a packet of sandwiches and exploring. These days, parents don't let their children out of their sight.
"There are stories of growing up in wartime when children had very few material possessions but the word 'bored' does not feature in their vocabulary as it does with so many today."
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 10 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
She added: "Some contributors observe how Sunday was once an important day with most people dressing up and going to church, where as the ritual for many people nowadays is to go to the supermarket."
Mrs Delanoy said: "We had a great response from people who attend the Fenland History on Friday meetings, we've had a lot of fun putting it together."
# When I Was a Child is priced £4.50 and available from Burrows Bookshop, High Street Passage, Ely and Soham Books, High Street, Soham.
# Fenland History on Friday is on at Ely Library every Friday from 10.30am-noon.