Watch the moment firefighters tackle Ely riverside boat blaze
- Credit: Emma Chepaldin
Friends of the owner of a small boat that caught fire on the river in Ely say he safe’s and uninjured.
Fire crews tackled the blaze today and quickly brought the blaze under control.
Glynis Pierson who was among those to see the fire, posted to Twitter: “Nobody hurt, thank goodness.”
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue were on the scene soon after it started and firefighters stayed until assured the area is safe.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire and Rescue said: "Crews from Ely and Cottenham were called at 10.40am to reports of a boat on fire near Ship Lane in Ely.
"Firefighters arrived to find a boat well alight.
"Two occupants had removed themselves from the boat.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using hose reels and safely removed it from the water.
"They also checked for hot spots using a thermal imagine camera."
The crews are still at scene making the area safe.