Blooming marvellous - Soham school allotments are officially opened
- Credit: Archant
Weatheralls School in Soham is reaping the rewards after its new allotments were officially opened on Friday.
A patch of ground left barren when the school’s old mobiles were removed has been transformed into a verdant oasis filled with an array of crops from tomatoes and courgettes to radishes and runner beans.
Work on the allotments began last summer and a group of determined teachers together with parents and governors worked to transform the site including rotovating it and building raised beds ready for planting.
Children have since worked to plant the seeds and nurtured them to produce their first crops.
The allotments complement’s the school’s pond in creating an additional wildlife sanctuary.
You may also want to watch:
John Powley, chairman of governors, cut the ribbon helped by pupils Faith and Casey to officially open the allotment area.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation