Blooming marvellous Ely scoops silver
BEAUTIFUL Ely has won a silver award in the annual Anglia in Bloom competition. The judges were impressed with the hanging baskets and floral displays around the city and named it as one of the winners over tough competition from across the region. Militi
BEAUTIFUL Ely has won a silver award in the annual Anglia in Bloom competition.
The judges were impressed with the hanging baskets and floral displays around the city and named it as one of the winners over tough competition from across the region.
Militia Way was commended at "outstanding" in its bid for the Neighbourhood Award and the dry garden at Jubilee Gardens was commended.
Although youngsters at Ely's Lantern School were pipped at the post for an award for their vegetable plot, they impressed the judges who sampled their work and received knowledgeable answers to their questions.
You may also want to watch:
The city's entry is made possible every year by volunteers working with the Ely in Bloom committee to create impressive displays for the competition which draws entries from Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Suffolk and Norfolk.
Ely in Bloom chairman, Cllr. Sheila Friend-Smith said: "I think the hanging baskets on the barriers in the Market Place really transformed the area this year.
- 1 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 2 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
"Our voluntary groups put a great deal of work into the displays and the city is looking better and better every year."
Now the search is on for more volunteers to take part in next year's entry for the competition.
The organisers are keen to tap into fresh ideas and find more skilled people to ensure the city's future success.
Anyone interested in taking part should contact Cllr Friend-Smith on 01353 663118.
CAPTION: Anglia in Bloom judges inspect a magnificent display by Ely's St Mary's Church.