Blooming marvellous effort as Ely scouts pick up the coveted Ely in Bloom trophy
- Credit: Archant
Gardeners across the city were celebrated with a flourish at a prestigious award ceremony to mark this year’s Ely in Bloom competition.
Winners in the seven categories were revealed at the awards presentation evening at The Maltings.
The judging panel led by Mayor Lis Every and in Bloom chairman Councillor Alison Arnold visited all the entries on July 27.
The panel also included: Deputy Mayor Ian Linsey, Cllr Sheila Friend-Smith, Cllr Chris Phillips, Mr Nigel Clarke, Mrs Carol Clarke, Mr Terry Overall, Mrs Sherley Overall, Ms Julie Elsey, Mrs Betty Seymour, Mr Ray Tinker, Mrs Suzanne Linsey, Mr John Yates, and Mr Daniel Block.
Cllr Arnold said: “It was a pleasure to judge this year’s competition as the standard of displays, small and large of each category was strong. Many colours, plant combinations with wonderful blooms. The overall standard was high and on behalf of the Ely in Bloom working group, we thank all those that gave their time to produce an array of colour, not only for personal pleasure but for other residents that live in Ely and visitors that come to Ely.” Mayor Lis Every judged the overall winner from the various category winners and awarded the coveted top prize to the 1st Ely Scouts.
You may also want to watch:
She also thanked: Eve Youngman hairdressers, Tea for Two, and John Hines for their help in caring for the floral displays.
Top three entries in each category:
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
Small business restaurants/cafes and takeaways: 1, Sylhet; 2, Prezzos; 3 Saffron.
Large business restaurants/cafes and takeaways: 1, 3At3; 2, Peacocks; 3, Ta Bouche.
Pubs/hotels and B&Bs: 1, Daisy Cottage; 2, West End; 3, Hereward.
Other business premises fronts: 1, Cathedral Vets; 2, Enhance; 3, Snippets.
Best volunteer group flower bed: 1, 1st Scouts; 2, Royal British Legion; 3, Ely Horticultural Society.
Emergency services and doctors: 1, ambulance station; 2, police station; 3, fire station.
Best community sheltered housing garden: 1, Bell Holt; 2, Thomas Parsons; 3, Fairfax Court.