Blooming great effort
KEEP up the good work was the message from the Anglia in Bloom judges after Ely scooped a silver prize in the large town category of the regional competition. Ely was commended for its excellent progress in only its second entry into the competition, a
KEEP up the good work" was the message from the Anglia in Bloom judges after Ely scooped a silver prize in the large town category of the regional competition.
Ely was commended for its excellent progress in only its second entry into the competition, and the city's train station was selected for a bronze award.
The awards are the culmination of months of hard work on the part of the Ely in Bloom Committee and dozens of organisations and volunteers, whose efforts won Ely a bronze award last year.
Anglia in Bloom judges were particularly impressed with the bedding design at the Hayward Theatre, the planters in High Street and the garden at The Old Palace.
Ely in Bloom members Terry and Shirley Overall, pictured, went to Thurrock Civic Hall with hopeful entrants from across the region to collect the awards.
"It really was wonderful and all the people of Ely tried very hard," Mrs Overall said.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
"Hopefully, we can improve even further next year, but even if you don't win an award, it's good for the city."