Blooming great effort
KEEP up the good work was the message from the Anglia in Bloom judges after Ely scooped a silver prize in the large town category of the regional competition. Ely was commended for its excellent progress in only its second entry into the competition, a
KEEP up the good work" was the message from the Anglia in Bloom judges after Ely scooped a silver prize in the large town category of the regional competition.
Ely was commended for its excellent progress in only its second entry into the competition, and the city's train station was selected for a bronze award.
The awards are the culmination of months of hard work on the part of the Ely in Bloom Committee and dozens of organisations and volunteers, whose efforts won Ely a bronze award last year.
Anglia in Bloom judges were particularly impressed with the bedding design at the Hayward Theatre, the planters in High Street and the garden at The Old Palace.
You may also want to watch:
Ely in Bloom members Terry and Shirley Overall, pictured, went to Thurrock Civic Hall with hopeful entrants from across the region to collect the awards.
"It really was wonderful and all the people of Ely tried very hard," Mrs Overall said.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
"Hopefully, we can improve even further next year, but even if you don't win an award, it's good for the city."