Blood donors honoured for dedicated service
- Credit: Archant
A GROUP of three blood donors from East Cambridgeshire, who have helped save hundreds of lives between them, have been awarded by NHS Blood and Transplant for their commitment to blood donation.
The three donors, Raymond Blair, from Witchford, David Lee, of Wentworth, and Patricia Trow, of Ely, were honoured along with 114 other blood donors from across East Anglia at an award ceremony at Norwich City Football Club.
All three of them have donated 75 pints of blood.
With each blood donation potentially saving the lives of up to three people, a donor who has given blood 75 times could have helped save the lives of up to 225 patients. Out of the four per cent of the eligible population who give blood, only three per cent ever manage to reach 75 donations and just one per cent reach 100.
Derek Carr, donor relations manager for East Anglia, said: “We are proud to reward these incredible people, these silent heroes, who have rolled up their sleeves so many times over the years to help save lives. Becoming a regular blood donor takes commitment and shows compassion.
Anyone wanting to donate for the first time should be aged between 17-65, weighing at least 50 kg (7 stone 12lbs) and in general good health. If you’ve donated before, you can start again up to your 70th birthday and there is no upper age limit for donors who have donated in the last two years.
To find out if you are eligible to become a blood donor and make a date to donate, visit www.blood.co.uk or call us on 0300 123 23 23.
- 1 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 2 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series