Blaze Rips Through Isleham Home

PUBLISHED: 14:53 22 February 2010 | UPDATED: 11:13 04 May 2010

A MAN was rushed to hospital after a fire took hold at a mobile home in Isleham on Sunday. The man was taken to Addenbrooke s Hospital in Cambridge suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation after he was awoken to find his home had caught fire. Two fi

A MAN was rushed to hospital after a fire took hold at a mobile home in Isleham on Sunday.

The man was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation after he was awoken to find his home had caught fire. Two fire crews from nearby Soham arrived at the home, on Prickwillow Road, at around 10.30pm to find the fire had taken hold of the property. Crews used two jet reels to extinguish the blaze, battling for around three hours before returning to base at 1.15am.

The fire was caused accidentally by a blocked fireplace.

Julian Fountain, Risk Manager at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "The occupant of the home was alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm as he was sleeping at the time.

"Without the smoke alarm he would have been very lucky to have woken up until the fire had developed into something much more serious.

"If you are sleeping when a fire starts you may not be woken until it is too late, and this incident shows just how important a smoke alarm can be in buying you and your family time to escape."

To book a FREE home fire safety check contact the fire service on 0800 917 9994 and quote code PSO.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard