Bishop of Ely appoints cathedral’s first female resident canon
- Credit: Archant
Ely Cathedral has appointed its first female resident canon.
Following the retirement of Canon David Pritchard, the cathedral announced that Rev Dr Victoria Johnson has been appointed as the new canon residentiary.
Vicky, who will be the first female resident canon in the cathedral’s history, is currently priest-in-charge of the parish of St Michael, Flixton in Manchester.
Before training for the priesthood at Westcott House, in Cambridge, Vicky gained a doctorate in biochemistry.
As well as being a deeply rooted parish priest, Vicky has assisted in the Manchester Diocese with vocational and strategy work, she is also a tutor for the College of Preachers, a member of the mission theology advisory group, and the mission and public affairs council of the Church of England.
You may also want to watch:
The Dean of Ely, the Very Revd Mark Bonney, said: “I am thrilled that the bishop has appointed Vicky Johnson as a residentiary canon at the cathedral. We had a large, and strong, field of candidates, and Vicky was the unanimous choice of all involved in the interview process.”
Outside her work Vicky loves music, especially singing, and has recently discovered the delights of opera. She also enjoys walking, real-ale, all things French and her dog, who is called Percy.
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 4 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 5 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 6 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 7 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 8 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 9 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
- 10 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
Vicky will be moving to Ely after Easter, and will officially be installed as a Residentiary Canon on Saturday, April 25, at Evensong.
Vicky said: “I am a little nervous, but also excited, and ask for your prayers, both for myself, and the wonderful parish in Manchester I am leaving. I look forward to getting to know you all in the near future and serving God in faith, hope and love.’