Bishop Laney Sixth Form teams with Norwich City FC to launch girls college football programme
- Credit: Archant
Bishop Laney Sixth Form in Ely is teaming up with Norwich City FC Regional Development to launch a girls college football programme.
The programme will provide an opportunity for girls, aged between 16 and 18, to continue their academic, footballing and career development through Norwich City Football Club.
Students will be able to combine a football training and fixture programme with a variety of courses over a two-year period, gaining the equivalent of three A levels as well as experience.
The training programme runs for four to six hours a week and students will have the opportunity to represent Norwich City FC in the English College League and Cup competitions.
Alex Kaufman, football development officer at Norwich City FC Regional Development, said: “We are delighted to be able to offer a unique opportunity to support girl’s football in Cambridgeshire. The variety of courses on offer will allow the students flexibility to enjoy their football, as well as learn and develop skills in their chosen field.
“We have worked extremely hard alongside Bishop Laney Sixth Form to ensure that we can bring the programme to life and we look forward to a successful future in the area running alongside our already established boys programme”.
Richard Spencer, principal of Ely College and joint-leader of Bishop Laney Sixth Form, said: “It is important that we support equal opportunities for all and that we encourage local girls to reach their full potential.
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 7 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 8 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 9 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
- 10 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
“Girls that show a strong desire and development within the football side of the programme may even be supported through potential progression into positions within local football teams.”
The sixth form is holding an open day for the scheme on Wednesday February 15 at Ely College from 10am-1pm. For further information or to book email email@example.com call 07500229619 or visit www.norwichcityfc-cambs.co.uk/