Biker picks up an unlikely passenger
A LITTLEPORT biker told the Ely Standard he couldn t believe his luck when he found a top TV personality thumbing a ride in Main Street. Scenes from Harley Davidson enthusiast Tony Buckingham s encounter with Selina Scott will form part of an ITV documen
A LITTLEPORT biker told the Ely Standard he couldn't believe his luck when he found a top TV personality thumbing a ride in Main Street.
Scenes from Harley Davidson enthusiast Tony Buckingham's encounter with Selina Scott will form part of an ITV documentary on Littleport, set to be the first episode of a new Tales from the Country series.
Former Channel 4 and ITN newsreader Selina Scott had been stood up by another biker who was set to guide her round Littleport, when Mr Buckingham, pictured, owner of Camel Road-based custom motorbike building workshop Lucky Buck Cycles, rode past on one of his Harley Davidsons.
"It was all a bit of an accident, really, said Mr Buckingham. "I was riding through the village when she flagged me down, thinking I was her contact. Unfortunately, the bike I was riding didn't have space for two, so I went back to the workshop to pick up a Harley Road King and we spent the afternoon riding around the Fen roads.
"It wasn't lost on me that I had Selina Scott riding pillion with her arms wrapped round my waist. She looks really good for her age and was great company."
Miss Scott interviewed her biker guide about the village's connections with William Harley, who went on to found the infamous Harley Davidson motorbike company after he swapped his birth home in Littleport for life in the USA.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 10 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
The documentary will also chart Littleport's island history and the 1816 riots.
INFO: Tales from the Country: Britain's Forgotten Ports is on ITV1 at 7.30pm on February 21.