Beware of fresh wave of distraction burglars posing as Anglian Water staff, police warn
- Credit: Archant
Police have warned homeowners in Ely against allowing people claiming to be from the water board into their homes without carrying out proper checks first.
The warning comes after Anglian Water sent out thousands of letters to homes and businesses detailing its plans to carry out a ‘flush’ of the water mains in the city.
While the letter is most certainly legitimate, police are concerned that fraudsters may seize the opportunity to pose as Anglian Water employees and use the letter to gain entry to homes.
Sue Loaker, crime reduction officer at Ely police station, said: “Residents of Ely have been sent a letter from Anglian Water advising that essential work to the water supply will take place between March 31 and April 25.
“Anglian Water has confirmed that it is extremely unlikely that there will be any need for their work force to have access to your home to test your water supply or water pressure.
You may also want to watch:
“The police always advise that residents use a door chain to all callers and check their identification. If in any doubt they are genuine, please contact Anglian Water to confirm they are legitimate and not a bogus caller before you allow them entry into your home.”
Cases of distraction burglary have been on the increase in recent years, with several incidents reported in Littleport and Wilburton last year.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
The fraudsters often work in pairs and target elderly or vulnerable homeowners.
To contact Anglian Water, call 08457 145 145 and quote job number 50034698.