Best in the region’ for Ely pub
THE Cutter Inn, Ely, has been named best pub in East Anglia – less than a year after its dramatic transformation. The Annesdale pub triumphed at The Morning Advertiser Pub Awards, beating off competition from across the region. It is the latest chapter i
THE Cutter Inn, Ely, has been named best pub in East Anglia - less than a year after its dramatic transformation.
The Annesdale pub triumphed at The Morning Advertiser Pub Awards, beating off competition from across the region.
It is the latest chapter in the success story of Steve and Jo Haslam, who bought the pub in March last year without any previous experience, and set about extensively refurbishing it.
Now the couple are celebrating after they were presented with the trophy for best pub in the region by comedian Rob Brydon.
You may also want to watch:
"We are absolutely elated with the result," Mr Haslam said.
"We didn't come here to win awards, but this really is the culmination of a fantastic year - it's been a lot of hard work, but it's been worth it."
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
The judges were impressed with the dramatic reversal in the pub's fortunes.
"The way Steve and Jo have transformed the Cutter Inn and increased turnover by 700 per cent is an inspiration for all," the judges' citation reads.