Best in the region’ for Ely pub
THE Cutter Inn, Ely, has been named best pub in East Anglia – less than a year after its dramatic transformation. The Annesdale pub triumphed at The Morning Advertiser Pub Awards, beating off competition from across the region. It is the latest chapter i
THE Cutter Inn, Ely, has been named best pub in East Anglia - less than a year after its dramatic transformation.
The Annesdale pub triumphed at The Morning Advertiser Pub Awards, beating off competition from across the region.
It is the latest chapter in the success story of Steve and Jo Haslam, who bought the pub in March last year without any previous experience, and set about extensively refurbishing it.
Now the couple are celebrating after they were presented with the trophy for best pub in the region by comedian Rob Brydon.
"We are absolutely elated with the result," Mr Haslam said.
"We didn't come here to win awards, but this really is the culmination of a fantastic year - it's been a lot of hard work, but it's been worth it."
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
The judges were impressed with the dramatic reversal in the pub's fortunes.
"The way Steve and Jo have transformed the Cutter Inn and increased turnover by 700 per cent is an inspiration for all," the judges' citation reads.