Bell ringers honoured for each completing 50 years of year at East Cambs church
- Credit: Archant
TWO East Cambridgeshire bell ringers have been honoured for each completing 50 years of service.
Fordham bell ringers Rosemary Palmer and Josie Whitwood were presented with certificates from the Ely Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers.
It marked their 50 years of membership and regular ringing at the church of St Peter & St Mary Magdalene.
They join fellow long-serving members Roger Palmer and Chris Bell and between the four of them they have given over 200 years of service to the community.
They ring every Sunday and for weddings and other special occasions.
Fordham’s Tower Captain and President of the Ely District of the Ely Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers, Roger Palmer, said: “It is quite an achievement to be a regularly-serving bell ringer for five decades and we are grateful to Rosemary and Josie for their continuing fellowship.
“We are fortunate at Fordham in having a strong and enthusiastic band but we are always ready to introduce new learners to this fascinating and quintessentially British traditional art.”
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 4 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Rough sleeping injunctions are ‘positive’ say council
- 10 LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: You have your say
He was speaking at the presentation during ringing before the Family Communion service
The tower of St Peter & St Mary Magdalene in Fordham houses eight bells, some dating back to 1638. The ringers practice every Thursday from 7.30 to 9.00pm and newcomers of all ages from 8 to 80, whether novice or returning experienced ringer, are always most welcome.
Expert but patient tuition and guidance is always on hand.
For more information call Roger Palmer on 01638 720507.