Bell ringers honoured for each completing 50 years of year at East Cambs church
- Credit: Archant
TWO East Cambridgeshire bell ringers have been honoured for each completing 50 years of service.
Fordham bell ringers Rosemary Palmer and Josie Whitwood were presented with certificates from the Ely Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers.
It marked their 50 years of membership and regular ringing at the church of St Peter & St Mary Magdalene.
They join fellow long-serving members Roger Palmer and Chris Bell and between the four of them they have given over 200 years of service to the community.
They ring every Sunday and for weddings and other special occasions.
You may also want to watch:
Fordham’s Tower Captain and President of the Ely District of the Ely Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers, Roger Palmer, said: “It is quite an achievement to be a regularly-serving bell ringer for five decades and we are grateful to Rosemary and Josie for their continuing fellowship.
“We are fortunate at Fordham in having a strong and enthusiastic band but we are always ready to introduce new learners to this fascinating and quintessentially British traditional art.”
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
He was speaking at the presentation during ringing before the Family Communion service
The tower of St Peter & St Mary Magdalene in Fordham houses eight bells, some dating back to 1638. The ringers practice every Thursday from 7.30 to 9.00pm and newcomers of all ages from 8 to 80, whether novice or returning experienced ringer, are always most welcome.
Expert but patient tuition and guidance is always on hand.
For more information call Roger Palmer on 01638 720507.