Barney gets on his bike for Historic Churches Trust
- Credit: Archant
Littleport cyclist Barney Leeke is set to ride the length of the county as part of the Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust ‘Ride and Stride’ event in September.
Starting from Tydd St Giles in the north of the county, Barney, 37, will wend his way towards Great Chishill in the south, visiting as many churches as possible on the way. He said: “I last took part in this event over 20 years ago as a young lad but the generous grants St George’s in Littleport has received over the last few years prompted me to give it a go again.”
The Ride and Stride is an annual event taking place on September 13 encouraging people to visit some of the county’s many historic church buildings and raise money for the trust in the process.
Sponsorship is often given per church or mile covered, Mr Leeke said he hopes to collect more than 50 churches in a ride which will cover nearly 100 miles.
He added: “I’m a keen cyclist and have completed challenging rides before, so I thought I ought to try something special for this event.”
Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust is a partner of the National Churches Trust and aims to support the continued use of historic church buildings in the county by providing grants for their upkeep.
Established in 1983, the Cambridgeshire Trust has given many grants to local churches and this is their main fundraising event.
- 1 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 2 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 3 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
- 4 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 Warwick Davis and daughter Annabelle cut the ribbon at special opening
- 7 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 8 Insurers to pay for £725,000 house replacement
- 9 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 10 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
To donate to Barney’s ride, visit www.justgiving.com/BarneyLeeke or e-mail email@example.com to pledge sponsorship.