Barbecue leaves a bitter taste as garden shed catches fire in Soham

PUBLISHED: 11:31 16 August 2012

Fire engine

Fire engine


FIRE-FIGHTERS are warning about the dangers of unattended barbecues, even after the cooking has finished, following a fire in Soham on Thursday.

Two crews from Soham were called at about 1.40am to a fire on West Drive Gardens, following reports that a garden shed was engulfed in flames.

The shed also contained two propane cylinders and firefighters spent more than an hour cooling the cylinders using two hose reels before they left the scene shortly before 3am.

Fire-fighters believe that the blaze was started by a cooling barbecue.

Richard Powell, watch commander at Soham said: “The barbecue was stored behind the shed but was still hot enough to start a fire.

“When you’re finished with a barbecue use water to make sure it is completely out and completely cooled and don’t store it near to anything flammable.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ely Standard