Banned for 12 months
A DRINK-driver who crashed his red Vauxhall Corsa into a ditch in Ely has been banned from driving for 12 months. Rafal Kaczynski also admitted he had no licence and no insurance at the time of the accident in Prickwillow Road on October 28. He only had
A DRINK-driver who crashed his red Vauxhall Corsa into a ditch in Ely has been banned from driving for 12 months.
Rafal Kaczynski also admitted he had no licence and no insurance at the time of the accident in Prickwillow Road on October 28.
"He only had a provisional licence, and he had no insurance whatsoever," prosecutor Delia Matthews told Ely magistrates on Thursday.
Twenty-five-year-old Kaczynski failed a breathalyser test at the scene of the crash, and later gave a test reading of 42 mcgs of alcohol in 100 mls of breath, when the legal limit is 35 mcgs.
You may also want to watch:
"I had just bought the car three or four months ago," said Kaczynski, who moved to the UK from Poland 16 months ago. "I was trying the car; I had never driven it before. I just checked the car, and something went wrong. I had drunk two beers."
Kaczynski, of Broad Street, Ely, was fined a total of £350 with £35 costs and a £15 surcharge.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
"What you did was stupid and reckless," said presiding magistrate Hamish Ross. "You have learned the hard way about our laws.