Banned Driver Facing Jail For Driving Van While Disqualified
BANNED driver John Lamb is facing a jail sentence, after admitting that he drove a van when disqualified. Lamb – who has previous convictions for the same offence – was spotted by an off duty police officer as he drove a white Ford Transit in Back Hill at
BANNED driver John Lamb is facing a jail sentence, after admitting that he drove a van when disqualified.
Lamb - who has previous convictions for the same offence - was spotted by an off duty police officer as he drove a white Ford Transit in Back Hill at Ely.
When banned from driving back in 2002, he was told he must take an extended re-test and the end of the disqualification, but had never done so.
"He told police he had bought the van from a man on a caravan site a couple of weeks earlier," prosecutor Emma Dmitriev told Ely magistrates. "He claimed that police had told him he was no longer disqualified."
You may also want to watch:
But, she said, when Lamb was stopped he was in possession of a solicitor's letter, saying he would have to apply for a licence at the end of his ban.
Lamb, 31, of Walsingham Way, Ely, had previously admitted driving on April 14 while disqualified, and without insurance or an MoT certificate.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Solicitor Adam Haselhurst said Lamb had a problem with reading and writing, and was not aware that he needed to take a re-test.
The court warned Lamb he could be jailed, and adjourned sentencing until July 10 for the probation service to prepare a report.