Banned Driver Caught Drunk at The Wheel is Facing Jail
A BANNED driver caught drunk behind the wheel of a car in Ely is facing a possible jail sentence, city magistrates warned this week. Jonas Stepakovas gave a breath test reading almost double the legal alcohol limit on October 17 – and police discovered he
A BANNED driver caught drunk behind the wheel of a car in Ely is facing a possible jail sentence, city magistrates warned this week.
Jonas Stepakovas gave a breath test reading almost double the legal alcohol limit on October 17 - and police discovered he was already a disqualified driver, and had no insurance cover.
All three charges were admitted by 33-year-old Stepakovas when he appeared at Ely courthouse. He gave a breath test reading of 68 mcgs of alcohol in 100 mls of breath, when the legal limit is 35 mcgs.
Solicitor Christina Metcalfe told the court: "If he was sentenced to immediate custody, it would have a bad impact on his wife and daughter, both financially and emotionally."
You may also want to watch:
Stepakovas, of St Mary's Street, Ely, had almost completed a 120-hour unpaid work order he was given for a previous drink-driving offence.
The court adjourned sentencing until November 20, and imposed an interim driving ban.
- 1 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
- 2 Rogue trader tells victim: 'I'll knock your lights out'
- 3 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 4 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 5 Golf club urges locals and dog walkers to ‘respect our private land’
- 6 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
- 7 Letter: Four new members join 'splash pad headquarters'
- 8 My opinion on Fen Biosphere
- 9 Career mentor's 100k charity run aims to raise £1,000
- 10 Councillor says MP Steve Barclay told Tories to return £10k lockdown grant