Banned Driver Caught Drunk at The Wheel is Facing Jail
A BANNED driver caught drunk behind the wheel of a car in Ely is facing a possible jail sentence, city magistrates warned this week. Jonas Stepakovas gave a breath test reading almost double the legal alcohol limit on October 17 – and police discovered he
A BANNED driver caught drunk behind the wheel of a car in Ely is facing a possible jail sentence, city magistrates warned this week.
Jonas Stepakovas gave a breath test reading almost double the legal alcohol limit on October 17 - and police discovered he was already a disqualified driver, and had no insurance cover.
All three charges were admitted by 33-year-old Stepakovas when he appeared at Ely courthouse. He gave a breath test reading of 68 mcgs of alcohol in 100 mls of breath, when the legal limit is 35 mcgs.
Solicitor Christina Metcalfe told the court: "If he was sentenced to immediate custody, it would have a bad impact on his wife and daughter, both financially and emotionally."
You may also want to watch:
Stepakovas, of St Mary's Street, Ely, had almost completed a 120-hour unpaid work order he was given for a previous drink-driving offence.
The court adjourned sentencing until November 20, and imposed an interim driving ban.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound