Banned driver admits he had been stupid’
POLICE were called to an address in Columbine Road,Ely, to deal with a drunken man who had banged on the door and then driven off in a car. Officers found Danny Sillman leaning against a wall of the house, he smelled of alcohol and admitted he had drunk f
POLICE were called to an address in Columbine Road,Ely, to deal with a drunken man who had banged on the door and then driven off in a car.
Officers found Danny Sillman leaning against a wall of the house, he smelled of alcohol and admitted he had drunk five pints of lager and a shot of vodka.
The engine of his Ford Fiesta was still hot, and he told police he had been out drinking in several Ely pubs with his ex-partner and a friend.
He refused to give a breath test and was arrested - and at the police station he failed an alcohol test, giving a breath test reading of 51 mcgs of alcohol in 100 mls of breath, when the legal limit is 35mgs.
Appearing before Ely magistrates on Thursday, 22-year-old Sillman, of Rugby, admitted drink-driving.
"I drove my car 200 yards then realised what I was doing and drove it back," he said. "I know it was a stupid thing to do."
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 4 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 5 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
Sillman, who said he was in the city on July 2 to visit his daughter, was banned from driving for one year and fined £50 with £35 costs.