A BANNED driver found asleep in the driver s seat of a car parked in Sutton had the ignition keys between his legs. A member of the public had alerted the police because Tomas Mazeikis was unresponsive, and officers managed to rouse him. He gave a breath
A BANNED driver found asleep in the driver's seat of a car parked in Sutton had the ignition keys between his legs.
A member of the public had alerted the police because Tomas Mazeikis was unresponsive, and officers managed to rouse him.
He gave a breath test reading more than double the legal alcohol limit, and explained that a friend had driven him to Brookside, and left him in the car.
"He had spent the day shopping in various places, including Tesco at Ely," prosecutor Delia Matthews told city magistrates on Thursday. "He had no contact details for the other person. He had moved into the driver's seat to put on the heating, and had drunk 10 cans of lager."
You may also want to watch:
Mazeikis, 26, of High Street, Sutton, admitted being in charge of a car when over the alcohol limit, and using a car without insurance.
The factory worker - who was banned from driving for 20 months back in October for an offence of drink-driving - was given a 24-month ban and fined £300 with £70 costs.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town