Ban fr ver the limit taxi driver
A TAXI driver was ver the alchl limit when he swerved t avid a cat n the rad and crashed int a parked car. A member f the public fllwed in his car as Lindsay Hancck carried n his way, and then kept him chatting until plice arrived. The publ
A TAXI driver was ver the alchl limit when he swerved t avid a cat n the rad and crashed int a parked car.
A member f the public fllwed in his car as Lindsay Hancck carried n his way, and then kept him chatting until plice arrived.
"The public-spirited man wh fllwed the taxi driver was Richard Smith, wh wrks fr the NHS and knws at first hand the results f drink-driving," Ely magistrates heard frm prsecutr Matthew Bradbury.
Mr Smith was fllwing the taxi alng The Causeway in Burwell when he saw it swerve and hit a car, causing a clud f dust and kncking a plastic trim ff the vehicle, he tld plice.
Airbags n the taxi had gne ff, and it was damaged at the frnt. Hancck later gave a breath test reading f 59 mcgs f alchl in 100 mls f breath, when the legal limit is 35 mcgs.
Hancck had drunk fur glasses f wine in the British Legin Club befre the accident.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 8 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 9 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 10 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
"He was driving fr wrk purpses at the time f the accident, he was ging t pick up a mini bus and take it hme," said slicitr Michael Judkins.
"A cat ran ut, that is why he swerved. He did nt stp because f the shck; he was cllecting his thughts. It was an errr f judgment."
Hancck, 59, f All Saints Rad, Newmarket, admitted drink-driving and failing t stp after an accident.
He was banned frm driving fr 16 mnths and fined a ttal f £450 with £65 csts and a £15 surcharge.
Presiding magistrate, Janet Suth tld Hancck: "Yur actins were ttally beynd cmprehensin.