Injured baby fox Blaze pulled to safety as crews tackled blaze in Wilburton
- Credit: Archant
An injured baby fox named Blaze is said to be “doing well and eating lots” after firefighters found him while they were tackling a fire in Wilburton.
Blaze was left in the care of a local fox rescue team after firefighters were called to a well-developed fire involving garden waste, tree stumps in Whitecross Road at 4.48pm on Friday (April 26).
Watch Commander Andy Powell said: “We were able to safely rescue the fox from the area around the fire.
“He was injured and was clearly hungry. When the local rescue team arrived they decided to call him Blaze, which was a fitting name. We understand he is doing well after being rescued.”
A post on Cambs Fire’s Facebook page added: “Crews cub not believe it when they came across this cute little fella at a fire in Wilburton on Friday afternoon (April 27),” said a spokesman for Cambs Fire & Rescue Service.
You may also want to watch:
“Round of appaws to firefighters from Ely and March for pulling him to safety.
“He’s now with a local fox rescue team, and we are pleased to hear he is doing well and eating lots.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
Although the fire was started accidentally, it got out of hand and resulted in crews - one crew from Ely, another from March and a water carrier from Newmarket - spending more than four hours tackling the blaze.
Station Commander Pete Jones added: “Fires in the open can present significant risks, not just to property and the surrounding area, but also to local wildlife.
“In this instance Blaze was lucky our crews found him when they did.
“There are simple tips to follow if you are planning on having a fire.
“Make sure to keep the pile small and manageable and never leave it unattended. Check the weather conditions before lighting and always keep a water supply nearby.
“It is important to build the fire well away from any building or outdoor structure.”
For more information about keeping fire safe, visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk.