Injured baby fox Blaze pulled to safety as crews tackled blaze in Wilburton

PUBLISHED: 17:29 29 April 2019

A baby fox named Blaze was rescued when fire crews were called to tackle a fire in Whitecross Road, Wilburton involving garden waste, tree stumps and tyres. Picture: CAMBS FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE.

A baby fox named Blaze was rescued when fire crews were called to tackle a fire in Whitecross Road, Wilburton involving garden waste, tree stumps and tyres. Picture: CAMBS FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE.

Archant

An injured baby fox named Blaze is said to be "doing well and eating lots" after firefighters found him while they were tackling a fire in Wilburton.

A baby fox named Blaze was rescued when fire crews were called to tackle a fire in Whitecross Road, Wilburton involving garden waste, tree stumps and tyres. Picture: CAMBS FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE.A baby fox named Blaze was rescued when fire crews were called to tackle a fire in Whitecross Road, Wilburton involving garden waste, tree stumps and tyres. Picture: CAMBS FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE.

Blaze was left in the care of a local fox rescue team after firefighters were called to a well-developed fire involving garden waste, tree stumps in Whitecross Road at 4.48pm on Friday (April 26).

Watch Commander Andy Powell said: “We were able to safely rescue the fox from the area around the fire.

“He was injured and was clearly hungry. When the local rescue team arrived they decided to call him Blaze, which was a fitting name. We understand he is doing well after being rescued.”

A baby fox named Blaze was rescued when fire crews were called to tackle a fire in Whitecross Road, Wilburton involving garden waste, tree stumps and tyres. Picture: CAMBS FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE.A baby fox named Blaze was rescued when fire crews were called to tackle a fire in Whitecross Road, Wilburton involving garden waste, tree stumps and tyres. Picture: CAMBS FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE.

A post on Cambs Fire's Facebook page added: “Crews cub not believe it when they came across this cute little fella at a fire in Wilburton on Friday afternoon (April 27),” said a spokesman for Cambs Fire & Rescue Service.

“Round of appaws to firefighters from Ely and March for pulling him to safety.

“He's now with a local fox rescue team, and we are pleased to hear he is doing well and eating lots.

You may also want to watch:

#WhatDoesTheFoxSay #TeamCambsFire.”

Although the fire was started accidentally, it got out of hand and resulted in crews - one crew from Ely, another from March and a water carrier from Newmarket - spending more than four hours tackling the blaze.

Station Commander Pete Jones added: “Fires in the open can present significant risks, not just to property and the surrounding area, but also to local wildlife.

“In this instance Blaze was lucky our crews found him when they did.

“There are simple tips to follow if you are planning on having a fire.

“Make sure to keep the pile small and manageable and never leave it unattended. Check the weather conditions before lighting and always keep a water supply nearby.

“It is important to build the fire well away from any building or outdoor structure.”

For more information about keeping fire safe, visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists