Atrium Club crowned champions whilst Whizzle slip to third during 2016 Ely Eel Throwing Competition
- Credit: Archant
Ely Market Place succumbed to an eel invasion today when the third annual eel throwing competition for people who work in the city took place... and a new champion was crowned!
The Atrium Club defeated nine other teams of four with a record-breaking throw of 15 metres 20, putting an end to Whizzle’s domination of the sport over the last two years.
Atrium was awarded the winning trophy, which was donated by the Ely Chamber of Commerce and presented by Mayor of Ely Lis Every, who said the day was “great fun” although very windy.
“It really is a bit of fun to see all the businesses competing with each other in such a different way,” she added.
This year’s runners up were Wood Green with a throw of 14.8 metres while Sutton-based Whizzle’s slipped to third at 14.7 metres.
You may also want to watch:
Ever since the competition was introduced as part of the annual Ely Eel Day celebrations, that take place over May bank holiday weekend, Whizzle’s have prevailed.
Tracey Harding, tourism and town centres manager for East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “It went really well and we’re very pleased.
- 1 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 4 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
“The weather held for us and we had a good bit of fun like we always do.”
Among the ten local businesses who took part in this year’s eel throwing competition were Museums of Ely, Waitrose, Cutlacks, Select Restaurant and Microm.
Another eel throwing competition will be held this weekend for members of the public as part of Ely Eel Festival 2016.