Asylum Seeker Committed Shoplifting Offences After Drug Relapse
A HOMELESS Iraqi asylum seeker committed three shoplifting offences when he relapsed back into drug use. Tarek Alesheri – who has 17 previous convictions for theft -- stole a digital camera from the Argos store in Ely on January 20. On February 1 he went
A HOMELESS Iraqi asylum seeker committed three shoplifting offences when he relapsed back into drug use.
Tarek Alesheri - who has 17 previous convictions for theft -- stole a digital camera from the Argos store in Ely on January 20.
On February 1 he went into the Co-op store twice within a few minutes, stealing eight bottles of wine worth �30. A week later, he stole two cans of lager from the One Stop shop in Ely, city magistrates were told.
Alesheri, 33, "sofa surfs" at the home of friends, but gave an address in Churchgate Street, Soham.
You may also want to watch:
"These were unsophisticated and impulsive offences," said Lowri Roberts, mitigating. "At the time of the offences he had relapsed into drug and substance abuse, that period is very foggy indeed for him."
She said Alesheri came to the UK six years ago illegally, because his family was persecuted by the old regime, and his father was killed.
- 1 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 2 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 3 £2m in government funding secured to explore A10 improvements
- 4 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 5 New chief executive for combined authority will earn up to £200k a year
- 6 'Most significant' Fens archive footage in years
- 7 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
- 8 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 9 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 10 Jail for would-be bike thief caught on CCTV threatening woman
"He is an asylum seeker, he cannot work or sign on," she added. "He has now turned things round, he is in contact with a drugs agency, and has a methadone prescription."
Sentencing was adjourned until April 9 for a report to be prepared.