Archie to sail the seven seas after winning King’s Ely Tall Ships award
- Credit: Archant
A King’s Ely sixth form student is preparing to set sail on a seven day voyage of the high seas after becoming the second recipient of the school’s Tall Ships Youth Trust Award.
16-year-old Archie Morrison Brown, from Thetford in Norfolk, is to embark on a week-long sailing expodition, where he will experience many physical and psychological challenges and discover skills and abilities that he may never have realised he had.
This prize has been given by David Andrew, a former pupil, who left after the Sixth Form in 1959. Since attending the school he has been passionate about sailing and has been an active member and volunteer for the Tall Ships Youth Trust since 1981, when he first went on a sail training voyage.
David gifted the school a bursary for the first time last year for Year 11 students to apply.
Toby Roney was the first lucky recipient to go on the week’s sail training voyage with the Tall Ships.
You may also want to watch:
Toby proved to be outstanding on the expedition; he was recommended as a Full Watch Leader and will be returning to the Tall Ships as a volunteer leader, and Archie will be looking to follow in his footsteps when he sets sail.
Sue Freestone, Principal of King’s Ely, said: “This is a tremendous opportunity for adventure and personal growth; we are very grateful to David Andrew for making it possible”.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
The TSYT is a registered charity that is dedicated to the personal development of young people through the crewing of ocean going sail training vessels.
It is the UK’s oldest and largest sail training charity for young people aged 12-25. For further information, please visit www.tallships.org