Aquafest 2017 is largest and best ever with crowd of 10,000 enjoying the sunshine, re-enactments and raft races
- Credit: Archant
Ely Rotary’s Aquafest this year was undoubtedly the largest ever - and one of the best - with an estimated crowd of around 10,000 people enjoying yesterday’s near-perfect weather.
Top of the bill at the arena was the Vikings re-enactment act, with the Vikings continually “fighting”, and bodies lying all over the place.
Eric Grant, rotary club secretary, said: “After their main re-enactments small children were invited to join them, being handed out all sorts of weapons, and they brought screams of laughter from the considerable crowd; with five groups assembled to join in.
“Another act was Harriett Maddox, who enticed a huge following with her popular songs, finishing with the incredible Glen Miller rendering of “Boogie Woogie bugle boy of Company B”.
“And, amongst others, the Energy Fitness for Women group – who were not listed with the performers on the programme – demonstrated how ladies in particular can keep trim.
You may also want to watch:
“Results of the raft races were: First prize for category A fastest single-hulled craft went to Thor Labs; first for fastest Category B craft was by JDR Cables of Littleport, who also attracted the Mayor’s Buoyant Business award; and first for best-decorated craft went to Spring Meadow school in High Barns.
“The scouts, as usual, had their own races across the river, and the overall winner was 3rd Ely Scouts.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Car crashes into wall outside village Co-op
- 8 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
“A new water attraction was the Hannams Wake Hub, which involved a team of wake-boarders flying over a ramp built in the river. Another exciting event.
“Overall, Aquafest 2017 could be described as a fantastic day for Ely, with a record number of stalls and some incredible acts.”