National Apple Day - a day of celebrations in Ely that includes helping you to identify unravel mysteries
- Credit: Archant
National Apple Day, which has become one of the best loved apple festivals in the area, is on Saturday – an event celebrated in Ely in since 2000.
The festival provides interest and intrigue whether you are interested in the educational, environmental or simply fun angle of the day.
Experts from East of England Apples and Orchard Project will once again be in attendance to identify any apples that you wish to bring along.
It is easier to identify if you can bring part of the stalk and/or leaf as well as the actual apple. So if you have been mystified as to what kind of apples have been growing in your garden all these years, now is the time to find out.
There will be several competitions, candle making demonstrations, birds of prey, storytelling and activities running throughout the day including the ever-popular longest apple peeling competition, apple and spoon races and an apply shy. Yes we pun a lot on apples.
Watergull Orchards, who supply the apples and bottles of juice for the various competitions, will be on hand to talk you through over 25 varieties of apples as well as over 10 varieties of juice and cider.
Ely’s very own Green Man will be making an appearance throughout the day together with Morris dancing and a Mummer’s play.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 8 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
As you might expect, all our food vendors have an apple twist so from apple teas to pork and apple sausages you can expect a wide variety of apple related culinary delights.
Sponsor Orchard Green, who is responsible for the new community development to the north of Ely, have been working with Jane Frost, a local artist renowned for her work with willow.
She has created a willow apple sculpture with the pupils from Isle of Ely Primary School to be on show at the entrance of the festival.
Founders of Apple Day nationally had the aspiration to create a calendar autumn holiday.
The first Apple Day celebrations, in the old Apple Market in London’s Covent Garden, brought fruit to the market after 16 years’ absence.