The sheer delight and joy of Ely’s annual Apple Festival and easily one of the most a-peeling celebrations of the year
- Credit: Archant
There are many delights about Ely’s annual apple festival but probably the most challenging is for the longest peel.
The festival is nearly 20 years old but the record for the longest peel was set – at 601 cm- as long ago as 2005.
“The first person up for our longest peel competition was Barry, a real pro, who returns each year to try and win that coveted prize of being the longest peeler,” said tourism manager Tracey Harding.
She was not alone in celebrating a brilliant day with many enjoying the delights of the city’s annual celebration of apples.
There was an award for George’s Bakery who won the best dressed apple stall and Ely Rock Eels dotted painted rocks around the Palace Green festival with the offer off of a free apple for those finding one.
You may also want to watch:
For those fascinated by the variety and choice of apples the festival had plenty of experts on hand to offer guidance and advice.
Watergull Orchards, who supplied all the apples and bottles of juice for the various competitions, were on to talk visitors through over 25 varieties of apples as well as over 10 varieties of juice and cider.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 5 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 6 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 7 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing