Appeal for station solution
VETERAN railway enthusiast Roy Wilson is appealing for people to find a solution to the Soham station site. I think there should be a halt type platform and a bus type shelter, and pay on the train. If this land does get built on there must still be roo
VETERAN railway enthusiast Roy Wilson is appealing for people to find a solution to the Soham station site.
"I think there should be a halt type platform and a bus type shelter, and pay on the train. If this land does get built on there must still be room for that," he said.
The Ely Standard reported last week that plans to build on the old rail station site would scupper a campaign to see it reopened.
A six-week public consultation has been opened to give local people the chance to have their say, but some Soham residents are unhappy about the process.
"Short-term housing instead of leaving us with the option for a train station will stuff up Soham's future permanently," said Donna Martin who supports the rail campaign.
Mr Wilson, of the Butts, Soham, lived behind the station goods yard on Mereside for 24 years and comes from a family of railwaymen.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
"My grandad Walter Ayres and his brother were signalmen and the stories told to me as a child got me hooked."
Mr Wilson has a vast bank of cuttings, photographs and information which he would like to share with Soham residents.
INFO: If you would like to contact Mr Wilson, you can do so via the Ely Standard on 01353 667831.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Let us know what you think about plans to build houses on the old railway station site. Should the railway station be re-opened?
Write to: The Ely Standard, 38 Market Street, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4LS or email the editor at: firstname.lastname@example.org