Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- Credit: BBC
A man who dug up a bronze pig at the bottom of his garden when he was a child was shocked to find out its astonishing predicted value on Antiques Roadshow.
The small figurine was unearthed several years ago in Cottenham and was taken to expert John Foster on Sunday night’s show (January 17).
“This looks to be Roman and first, second AD if it were right,” said Mr Foster. “That would sort of fit in with this area – Roman settlements and all that sort of stuff.”
“Looking at it overall, it's a pig cast in bronze... the detail in the face, the eyes, the tusks, it is almost too good to be true... I think a lot of these were decretive.”
The owner told Mr Foster that it just “sits on the shelf” and that he doesn’t think “it will be worth anything particularly”.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Foster said: “This is going from a gut instinct, there’s work to do here and it needs to go off to a museum... I think at auction [its worth] in the region of £10,000.”
“I was not expecting that,” said the shocked owner. “I thought it might only be worth £100... I wouldn’t really want to sell it; it’s always been a part of the home.”
- 1 Traffic, noise and anti-social behaviour among objections to new youth centre
- 2 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 3 Jail for violent man who repeatedly kicked his ex-girlfriend in the face
- 4 Pair praise hundreds in bid to find beloved Ziggy
- 5 East Cambs District Council is freezing council tax for eighth year in a row
- 6 Skydiving dad raises £1,623 for hospital that saved two-year-old daughter's life
- 7 Council told in 2019 Chatteris factory would close
- 8 Darts ace achieves his 'dream' after reaching world's elite
- 9 Man who waved machete in front of woman sentenced
- 10 Music student awarded diploma that few organists achieve while still at school
Mr Foster added: “I’ve never seen a pig of that quality, you see plenty of pigs and boars because they were hugely important in Roman times – but never one like that.”
To watch Antiques Roadshow on the BBC iPlayer, visit: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006mj2y/antiques-roadshow