‘This is getting ridiculous’: Another van gets stuck under infamous railway bridge
- Credit: Twitter/@EastCambsCops
Another vehicle has smashed into the infamous Stuntney Bridge in Ely despite large “very low bridge” warning signs.
A van was wedged stuck under the notorious structure – nicknamed ‘Britain’s Most Bashed Bridge’ – this afternoon (September 11).
The latest strike comes after it was revealed that cameras would be installed by Network Rail in a bid to “reduce the implications” caused by each hit.
Cameras will capture images of the bridge deck, allowing faster examination in the event of a bridge strike.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said: “We are currently dealing with a lorry stuck under Stuntney Bridge in Ely.
“While recovery is underway please expect some delays and, if possible, avoid the area.”
You may also want to watch:
One resident said: “This is getting ridiculous how drivers don’t know how high their vehicles are!”
Another added: “Maybe a massive sign needs going on before it saying ‘no’ to lorries, with a picture, as this happens all the time.”
- 1 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
- 2 Rogue trader tells victim: 'I'll knock your lights out'
- 3 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
- 4 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 5 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 6 Golf club urges locals and dog walkers to ‘respect our private land’
- 7 Popular Ely pub may never re-open
- 8 Letter: Four new members join 'splash pad headquarters'
- 9 Career mentor's 100k charity run aims to raise £1,000
- 10 Ziggy is missing from Ely - your help is needed