‘I’m normally in a smaller van...’ Another driver strikes the country’s most hit bridge in Ely
- Credit: East Cambs Poilice on Facebook
The driver of a van which hit the Station Road bridge in Ely this morning (Tuesday) told officers: “I’m normally in a smaller van”.
The vehicle has since been removed and the road reopened.
A post on the East Cambs Police Facebook page said: “Did you know that the railway bridge on Station Road, Ely is the most hit bridge in the UK? The driver of this van didn’t!
“The big yellow writing, numerous warning signs and two large light up signs were not enough to stop them.
“Their excuse..... ‘I’m normally in a smaller van’.”
You may also want to watch:
It continued: “This is not a good enough excuse and they have been reported for driving offences.”
There was no reported damage to the bridge. Police were called to the incident at 9:15am.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'