Anger over tape on graves
ANGRY Muriel Motley, was distraught when she discovered the grave of her mother, a former Ely hospital matron, covered in yellow warning tape at the city s cemetery. She found herself choking back the tears as the tape covered Olive Latham s name and warn
ANGRY Muriel Motley, was distraught when she discovered the grave of her mother, a former Ely hospital matron, covered in yellow warning tape at the city's cemetery.
She found herself choking back the tears as the tape covered Olive Latham's name and warned that the headstone was unstable.
Muriel, one of four daughters brought up single-handedly by Olive who worked at the former Tower Hospital said: "I was furious when I saw her grave. I was trying not to cry.
"You couldn't even see her name. Her grave has her nurse's badge on it and it was covered in yellow tape."
Muriel travelled from her home in Hunstanton to visit the grave after being told by a family member how it was marked for essential repair work by Ely City Council.
Now she and her family face a £200 repair bill for the grave.
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 6 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 7 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 8 Progress on introducing new 20mph speed limits to be discussed
- 9 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 10 War veteran, Freddie, marks 100th birthday
More than 100 graves in the cemetery have been earmarked for repair but there are fears that not all families will be traced and some old headstones may have to be removed.
Ely mayor Cllr Ron Bradney said: "There seems to be a problem with the level of workmanship. These headstones have failed our safety tests.