Anger over tape on graves
ANGRY Muriel Motley, was distraught when she discovered the grave of her mother, a former Ely hospital matron, covered in yellow warning tape at the city s cemetery. She found herself choking back the tears as the tape covered Olive Latham s name and warn
ANGRY Muriel Motley, was distraught when she discovered the grave of her mother, a former Ely hospital matron, covered in yellow warning tape at the city's cemetery.
She found herself choking back the tears as the tape covered Olive Latham's name and warned that the headstone was unstable.
Muriel, one of four daughters brought up single-handedly by Olive who worked at the former Tower Hospital said: "I was furious when I saw her grave. I was trying not to cry.
"You couldn't even see her name. Her grave has her nurse's badge on it and it was covered in yellow tape."
You may also want to watch:
Muriel travelled from her home in Hunstanton to visit the grave after being told by a family member how it was marked for essential repair work by Ely City Council.
Now she and her family face a £200 repair bill for the grave.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
More than 100 graves in the cemetery have been earmarked for repair but there are fears that not all families will be traced and some old headstones may have to be removed.
Ely mayor Cllr Ron Bradney said: "There seems to be a problem with the level of workmanship. These headstones have failed our safety tests.