Amnesty International to host annual lecture from Terry Waite at Ely Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
The Ely branch of Amnesty International will host its annual lecture this weekend.
The 2017 Amnesty International Ben Jupp Memorial Lecture will be given by Terry Waite on Sunday October 1 at 7pm in Ely Cathedral.
Sally MacEachern, secretary of the Ely Amnesty, said: “Twenty-six years have passed since Terry was released in 1991 after 1,763 days of captivity in Beirut as a hostage of Hezbollah.
“As the envoy of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Terry had gone to Beirut to negotiate the release of Western hostages but ended up as a hostage himself, spending most of his time in solitary confinement in basements and bombed-out apartment blocks, with no natural light and little natural air, chained by an ankle and often in fear for his life.
“During that time Terry had to battle to keep mentally, spiritually and physically alive. In ‘Out of the Silence’ he will discuss the importance of language and memory in maintaining his well being.
You may also want to watch:
Terry will sign copies of his two books, which will be on sale.
Admission is free and there will be a retiring collection in aid of Amnesty International and Hostage UK.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident